Please click here for a listing of the kinds of services we provide at Community Connections and links to printable brochures.
Are you considering Home Share for yourself, or for someone you know? Here is some information about how our program works!
- We have contracts with Home Share Providers who share their home with people who have disabilities. They can provide a lot of support, or just a little support, depending on the unique needs of the person sharing the home.
- To become a Home Share Provider, applicants have to go through a screening and approval process that includes a questionnaire, interview, reference check, medical disclosure, criminal record check, and review of the home environment. You can find more information about this process by clicking here.
- Approved Home Share Providers are “matched” with individuals who need home share support by our Home Share Coordinators based on factors like lifestyle, individual preference, support needs, geographic area, and other aspects of life. You can find out more about matching by talking to a Home Share Coordinator.
Are you receiving Home Share Supports? Here is some information about what you can expect!
- Once you move in, your Home Share Provider will support you with making goals for yourself. These can be big/long term goals (i.e. learn skills you need in order to live on your own) or smaller/short term goals (i.e. take an art class). Once your goals are written down, they are are called your Individual Support Plan (ISP).
- We know your relationships with family and friends are important to you. We hope that you will choose to have them be a regular part of your life, and involve them in planning for your future. We can support you with maintaining your relationships. But if you choose not to, that’s OK too.
- Your Home Share Coordinator will visit you and your Home Share Provider at home at least 4 times per year. You can contact your Home Share Coordinator any time if you have something important to tell them, like a concern – you don’t have to wait until they come to your home for their visit.
For more information on how your Home Share Coordinator can support you and your Home Share Provider, contact them by phone or email.
Do you want to give us feedback? We want to hear from you.
- We send out satisfaction surveys once per year to everyone that we support. We really appreciate the time you take to tell us how we are doing, and how we could do better.
- You don’t have to wait for our annual surveys to tell us about your experience. You can give feedback to any CCSS staff member in person, by phone or email, at the office in Kelowna, or by using our online Complaints and Compliments forms (available 24/7).
Do you have a concern? Contact your Home Share Coordinator! They will help resolve your concern. If they can’t, they will get help from the Home Share Service Coordinator to try and resolve your concern. If the problem is still not solved, we will explain and follow our Complaint Management policy. If you choose to make a formal complaint, you can give it to us in writing or click here for our online Complaints form.
Do you want to share a compliment? If there is something that we are doing really well, please let us know! We have an online form you can use by clicking here.
Click here for more information about giving us feedback.
Need more information? Here are some resources:
- Check out CLBC’s website for home sharing, and their page with information on becoming a home share provider
- Click here to link to the Disability Alliance BC home page
- To visit the Inclusion BC website, click here
- You can reach the Public Guardian and Trustee of BC at their webpage, here
- The Advocate for Service Quality website is available by clicking here
- The Province of BC’s Human Rights Protection page is available here
Also, check out the website we made just for you, the people we support! It has lots of information about things to do, accessing your community, emergency planning, links to important websites, and much more. You can find it by clicking here: we.commconn.ca